These brownies are from the old cooking style of cooking everything together before baking it. I absolutely love this recipe, they were an absolute hit at my house.
So, I could not help myself last evening and had to make this recipe I came across in the family recipe archives. I don’t know which family member originally wrote this recipe but it is amazing. The taste reminds me somewhat of those cosmic brownies you can buy at the convince stores. I get one every time we take a road trip. I’ve noticed each of our family members has a particular snack they go for with we travel. Mine is Milo’s Sweet Tea, Cosmic Brownies or Combos. What’s your favorite “road trip” snack?
OLD FASHIONED BROWNIES
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 20-30 mins
TOTAL TIME 40 mins
Serves: 12 GIVE OR TAKE 🙂
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350. Butter glass baking dish 5×7″.
- Measure shortening and cocoa into a saucepan and stir together over a medium low heat until shorting is melted.
- Stir in sugar and milk, bring just to boiling point, then remove from heat.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt and add to chocolate mixture along with vanilla, nuts and eggs.
- Pour into buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.